McDonald’s Restaurants to adopt Brisbane’s recycling lesson

Posted on November 27, 2014 by DrRossH in Plastic Waste News

McDonald’s Restaurants to adopt Brisbane’s recycling lesson.

However a six-month trial by Brisbane City Council’s waste recovery teams at McDonald’s Albion store has resulted in a 17.5 per increase in the amount of wrapping that could be recycled, actually being recycled.

Cr Nicole Johnson commended the project, but asked why a company with a turnover of $30 billion a year, which made a profit of about $5.5 billion last year, asked the council to pay $46,000 to run the six-month trial.

“I don’t think that is the right way. If this council has waste management expertise that we can outsource to business, we should be charging a fee for that service, not the other way around,” she said.

“We should not be subsidising multinational corporations to do the right thing.

Several points in this article show how wrong we have gotten things.  Why is a huge company like MacDonalds only now realising they are not recycling in the back of their stores?   This is a company that produces who knows how many 1000’s of tones of plastic waste a year and now they just find out by placing recycling bins in the back of the store they recycle a bit more?  And only 17%    Where is the other 83% still going?

Why at $5.5B profits is the common tax payer paying for them to do this increase I recycling?

Are we that blind and ignorant that these big corps who produce so much waste and environmental damage can just be so irresponsible about their operations at no consequence?