Bans on Plastic Straws Are Growing. But Is the Travel Industry Doing Enough?Posted on May 2, 2018 by DrRossH in Plastic Straws
Global momentum has built in recent months to ban plastic straws and replace them with biodegradable paper ones. But cruise lines and luxury resorts are lagging.
Sonu Shivdasani, the chief executive of Soneva Resorts, a small luxury hotel chain emphasizing sustainability that banned single-use plastics in 2008, echoed that sentiment. “Hotels serve the richest 30 percent of the world’s population, and in doing so, consume far too many natural resources that weigh negatively, impacting the other 70 percent of society. We, as an industry, continue to consume far more than our fair share of resources.”
For luxury travelers, another question lingers: Why do high-end resorts have single-use plastic in their rooms in the first place? “Travelers spending over $400 a night on a hotel room shouldn’t be drinking from a cheap plastic bottle,” Mr. Mitchell said. “Plastic is not luxury.”